Monday, October 21, 2013

Geeking out at the Four Corners

The four corners monument was one of those places I've secretly (well, not so secretly anymore) always wanted to go to. As a kid it always sounded so cool that you could be in four states at once. However, it doesn't really seem to qualify as a full-fledged destination. Then, just as we were making travel plans for our next portion of the trip, the stars aligned and we also had cable tv that evening. An episode of Good Luck Charlie was on, and it was about a sort of misguided road trip in an RV to the four corners. 

"Hey kids, do you want to go there, too?" 
   
"Yes!"

(Cue the not-so-secret fist pump in the air as I'm super happy everyone is on board!) 

Nearly everyone, but four is a solid majority, and better than I've received in the past. 

I do tend to like silly things, and don't always get everyone as readily motivated. Waking up three kids early to go to a chicken parade (check it out if you're near Bow, WA), or convincing my husband that going to a drag queen show is a good date night, are the sort of things that usually take a lot of cheerleading or eyelash-batting to get everyone to go along. I think that our collective sense of adventure and flexibility has greatly increased on this trip, as now when someone suggests a side trip or destination it takes little to no convincing to get everyone ready to go. (See an upcoming post about a five-day detour to Tucson.)


The road into here was the bumpiest/ruttiest (not sure that's a word, but there were lots of ruts). We had a cupboard open and all of our pantry items fall out into the RV and roll around, discovered a couple hours later, but no real damage. 

Around the monument there are stalls set up with Navajo vendors selling their wares. We did our part in contributing to the economy, loading up on bracelets and one really nice vase.

Here we are hamming it up.

Our first, but not our last, fry bread. So, so, good.

We all had our own style of posing. The kids got in on mine (above), but I'm not showing Kevin's as, well, I don't want all the ladies getting too jealous of me. That cheesy goodness will go straight into the family album so that future generations can marvel at how sophisticated their ancestors were.




I was one content woman as we left and headed out through Monument Valley. Later there was a Navajo Code Talkers museum in a Burger King, so the day was a full success. What is your favorite road trip detour?

4 comments:

  1. We went there too and played four square! I convinced everyone to do the Gangnam Style in the road at Mile Marker 13 in Monument Valley. I am the one usually making the plug for roadside oddities, although my husband was the one who wanted to see Carhenge in Alliance, Nebraska. Recently we have seen The Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD and we might get to see the world's largest toilet seat. My family will need to hold me back there because a significant lobe of my brain never matured beyond seventh grade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! My daughter was reading the blog while we were driving today and saw your reply first, "Mom, there's someone else out there like you!" and was in full giggles. So, I got to look forward to setting up camp tonight and reading your comment--thank you! Do you by chance write the dare you to move blog? If so, that's one I read all of the time, and started reading during our chaotic prep time for this trip. Love it! If not, (oops), then I still hope I get to hear about that giant toilet seat.
      Stay warm there in SD!
      Judy

      Delete
  2. Yes! That's us! We are in WI now, headed toward Holland to spend some time with the Boyinks. I wish we were going to be closer to you soon. We would love to meet you all in person. I'm enjoying your blog. You have a fun writing style! Enjoy the southwest. That is my favorite place on Earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, so cool! Sounds cold up there, but I can see the draw of traveling to meet up with friends. We just plowed through west Texas so that we could do the same. (Holy cow that's a long drive!)

      Delete